news

Flood: number of victims in Melaka increases to 135

MELAKA (Oct 12): Another evacuation centre has been opened in Jasin, bringing the total to four in Melaka with the number of flood victims as at 2.30 pm increasing to 135 from 56 in the morning.

Director of the Melaka Civil Defence Force, Lt Col (PA) Effendy Ali said the new flood evacuation centre was opened at 10 am at Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Parit Penghulu in Jasin.

He said the Jasin district recorded 122 flood victims from 26 families comprising 73 placed at SK Tehel, 29 in Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) Seri Bembam and 20 in SK Parit Penghulu.

"A total of 13 people from four families were placed at the Kampung Seri Jeram community hall in Alor Gajah," Effendy, who is also Melaka Disaster Management Committee secretariat head, said in a statement today.

He said the floods in the area were believed to be caused by continuous moderately heavy rain from 6 pm yesterday until 4 am today.

He said the weather throughout Melaka was so far reported to be cloudy in several areas, while the river water level in the flood-prone areas was at alert level.

SHARE
RELATED POSTS
Number of flood victims in Kerian remain at 29 as at 9am
Flood relief centre at SMK Seri Bemban closed
Solve road congestion in Melaka City - Mohd Khalil